Monday, April 9, 2018

Some thoughts about track planning. (1)

One nice thing about all the catalogues and papers I received in the Feldbahn set box was that one page in the catalogue had actual size pictures of the track elements on it. So, to aid in the planning of the model I copied the page a few times and cut out the track pieces and played with them to see what kind of layout I could come up with. As there is no flexible track in the Feldbahn system, that limits you to what can be done. 

Track elements copied.
Here's a few ideas I developed as I moved the track elements about. I want to keep it simple as a move 'beyond the train set", and creating a series of believable vignettes of minimum Gauge railways as a part of the layout.
I like the idea of featuring a siding with a standard gauge wagon on it to compare sizes of the standard and minimum gauge stock. I think an offstage exit to a storage yard, that could also double as a siding is a good idea too.

1. Adding some straights into the oval is the first basic step. Then a turnout for a siding or
offstage exit.

2. How about a triangular layout? I had hopes for this idea
but on reflection, It's my least favourite concept.

3.  I like the idea of watching a train meander down an S curve.
The whole left hand side is a meandering curve, though the Sand Hutton didn't
really feature any meandering sections of track. Quite pleasant.

4.  A little less meandering curve, and a lot of space in the bottom left. Should I
put scenery there or would that be better served by having track there?

5. So far this seems to be the best option. This uses up the space well. A nice length of curvy
section and a straight to put a small station platform on, and the offstage exit/siding.


A few first steps in planning then. Bear in mind that planing is a personal thing and you may disagree with what I'm doing, and the way I'm doing it. That's your right, but I won't listen to your opinions.
While I'm placing and moving track elements about on the board, I'm looking at pictures and seeing things in my minds eye and trying to imagine how they'd look translated to this small board. Right now, numbers 3 and 5 fit my visions best. After a bit more fettling and messing about I might come up with something I'm happy with. Or I might come up with something totally different.

5 comments:

  1. I read somewhere on a forum about ways of adding an adhesion strip to flexible z gauge track.

    If you are modelling this as OO6.5 rather than HOf I would think about using EM or P4 track for the main line to further emphasise the gauge difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. templates are a good way to plan sectional track esp. Busch as you must have good joins that ensure continuity of the metal strip. Neil Moss gave me a pot of magnetic paint at NG South to experiment with. He said 3 coats works but it depends how deep bthe ties are

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would go for option 4 but with an additional point to give an exchange siding alongside the SG lower left. The SG only really makes sense if there is a siding, and two sidings gives you traffic source and destination

    ReplyDelete