Thursday, September 13, 2018

Back in the saddle

Now that the Narrow Gauge Convention is over, I'm all fired up with enthusiasm get this project exhibitable, ready for the show in St. Cloud, MN on November 10th. I've placed orders for another locomotive kit, a coach kit and some rolling stock. I'm even planning a scratch building project. I have a lot a projects on my plate, but I think if I can set myself an hour a night during the week and some extra time at the weekends then I should be able to get very close.
First things first, lay the track. As the model is using Z gauge track, I'm a little wary that everything needs to be perfectly flat and level with good current contact. Even though the locomotives have magnets in them to keep them firmly on the rails, clean, flat, level track will help things a lot.
The first step was adding a track bed of 1/16" cork before laying the track. 

Cork trackbed in place
A thin smear of white glue was used to fix the track in place. As thin as possible, I didn't want any glue leaking into joints or the point.
Track glued in place, weighted down as glue sets
A couple hours later, with the weights removed. Things look OK. Twenty four hours later trains run pretty darned well. I may be inclined to try and solder a few of the track joints to help the current.
Glue set, train runs.
Step one completed. The next step will be to add a few contours to the board so is it isn't totally flat.  That will probably be a task for the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment