Thursday, May 17, 2018

The times they are a changin'

So sang Bob Dylan, more years ago than I care to remember. I don't even like the song, but it sprang to mind as I was considering some model making for this project. I have designs on scratchbuilding several things. A Heywood "Katie" for example, is a must. Several items of Heywood coaching stock would be nice too, as well as the Sand Hutton Light Railway 18" gauge coach and brake van.
It was then I started thinking about developments in the model making world. The last time I was making truly small railway models. (I think I have the dubious distinction of making the first scratchbuilt T gauge U.S. outline freight cars) They were made from embossed styrene sheet and other plastic bits mounted on T scale bogies. There was a lot of thinking involved to find the right embossed sheet and thicknesses of strip to get the effects I was after. It was one heck of an achievement to build and at the end of the day, I was pretty proud of myself.
Was this the worlds first scratch built T scale gondola?
The thoughts of what I achieved in T scale is spurring me on in OO6.5. The thought of making rather tiny trains has really got my model making enthusiasm going again. But in those intervening years how things have changed.
When I started working in T scale, 3D printing was in its infancy, if it even existed. Now it's the next big thing in modelling. Anyone with a computer can access 3D modelling software like Sketchup and produce their own parts for projects, and if they so desire, sell them to other modellers through companies like Shapeways. Some people even producing parts for a whole locomotive or rolling stock.
Indeed, this is what has driven OO6.5 development. Take a look at this magnificent Ruston Proctor from James Hilton at 6.5 minimum gauge. Admittedly, this kit goes a step further with the addition of etched nickel silver overlays on the body for extra detail. But the principle is the same. If you find a prototype you like that isn't available anywhere,  you can sit at your computer and make one yourself.
The Ruston Proctor from 6.5 minimum gauge. What a beauty. (photo courtesy 6.5 minimum gauge)
The Narrow planet kits look great, I have some of their Heywood TOPS wagons and I am looking forward to assembling them and trying some of the other of the models in their ever expanding range too. That Ruston Proctor in particular.
The fact a person can sit at a computer and produce models to such a high standard amazes me.
As for me. Do I want to sit at a computer messing with squares, curves, vectors and nodes or whatever to make a model? I don't think so. I have tried it. I started work on some T scale structures once.
Sketchup of a T scale gas station
Perhaps it was the learning curve or the struggle with the online instructions, but I just didn't get the same pleasure out of it as if I was measuring and cutting styrene and piecing it together. When I look at what I achieved in T scale I still glow with pride a little bit.
T scale lighthouse. A N scale flashing LED was used as a beacon
This T scale petrol station included some impossibly tiny petrol pumps.
Like I said, times are changing. I can see reasons to try my hand at Sketchup model making, my eyesight isn't what it used to be for example. But right now, for me nothing beats cutting and gluing small bits of styrene.

1 comment:

  1. enjoyed reading that. James Hilton has done a Heywood loco for his own use and has a blog like yours. I have the RP and an Empire steam loco he has also done in 00 6.5 He is doing a very nice saddle tank called Vowchurch next I like the 2 truck wagon but on Busch track curves it might look odd

    ReplyDelete